Monday, October 11, 2010

The Skunk Train, Ft Bragg CA
















Thousand year old tree (left)







Paul & Jane



















































I have always loved trains. Maybe because when I was a little boy I had a Lionel and then HO train set in the basement or maybe because I have fond memories of my Dad taking me to watch the trains in Elizabeth when i was growing up in Roselle Park. As an adult I love taking trips on trains especially vintage and steam train excursions. For a long time I have wanted to ride on the "Skunk Train" in Northern California. On our trip to California in September, Betsy, Paul, Jane & I finally had the opportunity to ride this amazing train from Ft. Bragg through the Redwood Forests. It was an all day trip that included a lot of wine tasting in the Parlor Car along the way. At the mid way point of our journey, we stopped to enjoy the beautiful scenery at a picnic ground for a delicious BBQ lunch. The open air car made for great viewing of the Redwood Trees that were over a Thousand years old as we winded our way though the Mountains and criss-crossed a river on trestle bridges. If you are ever in Northern CA, this is a great opportunity to step back in time and enjoy some of the most breathtaking scenery you can imagine.

















No comments: